Kumaun Grameen Udyog (KGU) is a Section 25 company that was initiated by the Central Himalayan Rural Action Group (Chirag) in 1998. Located in Kasiyalekh village in Nainital district of Uttarakhand, KGU has two primary objectives:
(a) to generate rural employment and sustained incomes and
(b) to generate surpluses that are invested in health care and education in the region.
KGU’s products are marketed under the brand of Kilmora. The product range comprises of hand woven and hand knitted textiles and accessories, apricot oil and scrub, culinary herbs and locally grown agri-produce. KGU’s current turnover is 1 crore, and in the last financial year, it invested Rs 14 lakhs in education and primary health care in the region.
KGU is recruiting for two posts:
1. Chief Executive Officer
2. Consultant – Sales and Marketing
Chief Executive Officer
This is a full-time position based in Nainital district. The candidate will be required to be fluent in Hindi and English. She/he will need to be comfortable with people and be able to lead a team of local staff. Prior experience in running a business / production facility is essential. A feel for handmade textile products is required – design / production experience in this area would be desirable.
• The CEO will report to KGU’s Board of Directors
• She/he will lead and manage KGU’s team
• She/he will coordinate the production of KGU’s range of hand woven and hand knitted textiles and accessories and naturally grown agri-produce; and be responsible for new product development
• She/he will ensure that production is synchronised with marketing plans
• The CEO will ensure that the inventory of stocks of raw material, finished goods and packaging is managed
• The CEO will strengthen existing marketing channels and develop new market relationships
• She/he will be responsible for strategic planning for the business and for ensuring adherence to plans and targets
• The CEO will ensure compliance with legal requirements and will manage finances
Consultant – Sales and Marketing
This is a part-time position and does not require the person to be based in Kumaun. The candidate could be located in a metropolitan city but should be willing to devote 10 days per month for KGU’s marketing efforts. The candidate would be required to have prior marketing experience of handmade products in the domestic market. A familiarity with the export market would be desirable. The candidate will need to have mobility: she/he will be expected to visit KGU every few months; and would be required to make visits to other cities to strengthen KGU’s market presence.
• The Consultant will report to the CEO and will be expected to make work plans and set targets in consultation with the latter
• She/he will be required to strengthen existing marketing channels and forge new marketing relationships
• In particular, she/he will need to add new buyers for each of the product segments of the Kilmora range, and to see that KGU’s market presence grows in cities where there may or may not be existing market relationships
• She/he will be required to lead the KGU sales staff during the retail season in setting up stalls at exhibitions and bazaars, and in dealing with retail customers at these events
• She/he will be responsible for maintaining and growing KGU’s database of retail customers and informing them of KGU’s retail activities during the season
• The Consultant will be responsible for growing KGU’s market presence in areas where there has hitherto been negligible presence: eg the export and online markets
Interested candidates should write to Ms Aloka Hiremath at email@example.com